Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Giving In

As the deadline for the application nears, I am trying my best to keep calm.

I plan on submitting the School of Cinematic Arts application in person, next week. I have completed first drafts of all my essays and continue to polish them every day. I have loads of paper waiting to be reviewed; letters of recommendation, transcripts, evaluations, etc.

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to write a personal statement or essay. It's not difficult in the sense that I don't know how to write well, the problem is telling both an appealing story yet making it sound good for them.

There's roughly a week left until I feel that huge sigh of relief. I can't help but feel like Jon Favreau -- Obama's senior speechwriter -- who spends his time working from a Starbucks. In my case, I'm constantly revising my writing in a library which used to be a church. I'm here nearly every day and have grown a beard since I started.

Yet I remain confident.