Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Crash & Burn

I haven't mentioned this yet but I am starting to work on a script for a short film which I am looking to produce this summer... or sometime this year. Some film schools require a film submission, but in any case, it looks good to have a completed film on your resume.

I have already written a story and script outline.Usually, I draft a story outline which tells me exactly what the story is going to be about without any real details. After I am comfortable with the story, I begin writing a script outline. A script outline tells me what is exactly going to go into the script, scene by scene, with key details. Lastly, I begin writing a script using these outlines as a reference and guide.

Now, I probably sound like I know exactly what I'm doing. Unfortunently, I don't have a clue. I have never produced a short film and if I was working with a digital camera and a group of friends, I wouldn't care as much. I'm trying to make a good film; hopefully submit it to several festivals but most importantly, show my creative abilities. I have been meeting with Shervin who has helped me put together the concept of the story. I told him I was looking for a Director of Photography/Cinematographer so he recommended Igori Kamoevi. I've worked with Igori in the past on projects with Shervin so I gave him a call. We met later in the afternoon and dicussed the project. I really think he will do a good job if I work with him; we both have a similar approach to filmmaking and are both influenced by European cinema. I am also planning on meeting with one or two other cinematographer's sometime this week.

The problem is Igori doesn't own a camera so we will have to rent one. Renting a camera will cost as much as $150 a day. The good news is the other guys I am planning on meeting with are interested in working for free... oh, and they have a camera!

Sounds great except for my second problem... those other guys aren't returning my e-mails.