Wednesday, October 1, 2008

21 Shots

After being sick multiple times this month (stomach pains, fever, cold, stomach pains), I finally found time to film my first project for film class. Unfortunately, everything went wrong and I'm to blame.
Sure, I procrastinated at first but hadn't imagined I'd become ill three weeks in a row. The shots didn't feel amazing, that's because they weren't amazing. I wish I had the time to frame the shots better, and work on my composition, but I didn't. The street was busy with cars and people, the tripod was horrible (I swear, I'm going to break this thing) and I was losing patience.
An unedited five minute project took up three tapes because I didn't like any of the takes. Until I I finally realized I was going to go over the time limit which meant 5 points off. I was nowhere near finished and kept breaking down. What kind of filmmaker am I? I can't even compile 21 shots? Long shot? Close Up? We mastered these in Amorosa, why not turn that in?
In the end, I'm not happy with the footage and the tape reads 00:05:30. I e-mailed my professor; not to ask for an extension or tell him about my illness, but to admit I didn't give this project everything I possibly could. Even if he doesn't reply, or says he doesn't even have a clue who I am, I felt like I had to do this for me.
Would I have came across the same situation had I planned the project for a week? It's not about the 60 points, it's about what you learned and what you take from it.